For that, I apologize in advance.
"The Owl and the Eel and the Warming-Pan" was written by children's author Laura E. Richards and is part of 1890's In My Nursery, which was published by Little, Brown and Company.
To recap, the above poem and illustration feature:
- An anthropomorphic warming pan
- An owl wearing a hat
- An eel with legs (and shoes on the feet it should not have)
- A mysteriously absent character known as "the soap-fat man"...
- ...who rides on a rolling pin
- Bad things happening at the meeting house, in an abrupt ending.
Trying getting the warming pan's face out of your head. I dare you.
Oh, by the way, Richards has a Pulitzer Prize. And you don't. So get back to work.