What adventures and discoveries happen when you walk through the stone archway pictured in this old German postcard?
The answer could be anything.
I chose to write about this image and its storytelling possibilities even before I knew what Ein Blütentraum meant. It translates, quite wonderfully, to something along the lines of "Blossom Dream" or "Flower Dream" or "Beautiful Daydream."
What's beyond the portal?
- A time slip into the medieval era?
- An alien planet?
- A garden filled with storytellers from across the centuries?
- A land where all the creatures of urban legend and folklore exist?
- Earth as it would be without humans?
- A town populated by super-intelligent dwarf giraffes?
- A forest full of perplexed people who walked through the archway and can't get back?
The possibilities are only limited by our imaginations, which should never have limits. Show this postcard image to your child or grandchild and ask them what they think is on the other side of the archway. Encourage imagination and dreaming and crazy/silly/outlandish ideas.
I'm planning — soon, but no launch date yet — to start a new website called Create-A-Tale, which will use images such today's post, this one and this one and this one to hopefully serve as a jumping-off point for kids to dream up, create and share their stories and ideas.