Written on the back, in cursive, is a recipe for a sweet treat:2
Mrs. Wogan's recipe for Walnut KissesThat doesn't seem like enough specific information to successfully carry out the recipe, does it?
1 lb. kernels ground
1 lb. pulverized sugar
whites of 6 eggs
Beat egg whites stiff
add sugar + keep beating until stiff
When real stiff add nuts + flour
Slow oven 300°
Here are some links to additional pages about walnut kisses, which seem to have at least some history as a Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish treat:
- from AmishRecipes.net
- a few variations from Cooks.com
- from Best of Mother Earth
- "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking" on Project Gutenberg
1. This card was found within the same lot of books from Glen Rock that yielded the bookmark and "Alice and Jerry" reader I wrote about last week. There were a bunch of ephemera goodies within this collection, and it's going to yield some great future posts on Papergreat.
2. Want more sweets? Here are recipes for rio cream and apricot ice cream from a previous post.