Saturday, January 26, 2013

Postcard: Artist's conception of Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station

This undated postcard features an illustration of York County's Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station. Construction on the facility began in 1958 and it became operational in 1966. The caption on the back of the postcard states:
"Artist's conception of the Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station on the Susquehanna River, Peach Bottom Township, York County, Pa., built by Philadelphia Electric and fifty-two other investor-owned utility companies. This high-temperature, helium-cooled nuclear power station, with a capacity of 40,000 kilowatts, will be owned and operated by Philadelphia Electric Company."

The illustration was fairly accurate, if you compare it to this undated photograph of the power station — featuring a similar aerial view — from the U.S. Department of Energy.

The power station was built by Bechtel Corporation, which dates to 1898 and has been involved with the construction of Hoover Dam, the "Chunnel", King Fahd International Airport in Saudi Arabia, and the infamous Big Dig in Boston.

Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station, which is about 50 miles southeast of Three Mile Island, has three units. Unit 1 was in commission from 1966 to 1974. Unit 2 and Unit 3 went into service in 1974 and have been licensed to run in 2033 and 2034, respectively.

Here are links to some more information about Peach Bottom:

Previous atomic-themed Papergreat posts

No comments:

Post a Comment