Here are some excerpts from the text:
- "They did not look much like animals then, but that was before they were touched and brought into shape by the wonderful fairies Needle and Thread."
- "our fierce lion was a corner of fawn-colored, smooth-faced cloth from a tailor-made suit"
- "our fat pig and dear little white bunny were odds and ends of eider-down"
- "The best materials are tightly woven stuffs that are plain on one side and fluffy or shaggy on the other. Thin and loose cloths that easily fray are troublesome."
- "Stuff always with unbleached wadding. A yard will fill three or four animals of 7 inches or 8 inches long and 4 inches or 5 inches in height."
Here's a closer look at this showdown, which involves either a very large chicken or a very small monkey...