- Title: Sad Day Glad Day
- Author: Vivian L. Thompson
- Illustrator: Lilian Obligado
- Publisher: Scholastic Book Services
- Year: Third printing, February 1971
"Kathy ordered her own lunch. She had chicken salad, on on a pretty plate — and milk, in a blue glass. And candy-crunch ice cream!
"'It's fun to eat outside,' she said."
- Notes: This thin volume doesn't look like the kind of book that you would buy of your own accord after browsing through the latest selections in a Scholastic Book Club brochure. But it's actually a fairly beloved title for the small group of readers who remember it. Used copies sell on Amazon for decent prices. One reviewer who remembers its fondly writes: "What a beautiful book! It's about a little girl who mistakenly leaves behind her cherished doll on moving day. But not to worry — there's a happy ending." ... The book was originally published by Holiday House in 1962 as a hardcover. ... Author Thompson, whose middle name is Laubach, wrote a number of children's books, including Hawaiian Legends of Tricksters and Riddlers and "Neat!" Said Jeremy. ... Illustrator Obligado was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. In 2011, members of a Google message board wished Obligado a happy 80th birthday. Eventually, Obligado herself replied on the message board, indicating that she was living in Switzerland and that her mother, who had the same name, was "a bit over" 100 and was living in Lake Mohegan, New York. That's a lot of Glad Days!