This 5-inch by 3½-inch photograph was printed on Kodak Velox paper. It is stamped "841D" on the back. That's all we know.
- Why was this snapshot taken?
- Was it intentional, or a mistake?
- Why did the photograph survive all these decades?
- And why did I acquire it?
- What kind of shoe is that?
- What color is it?
- Whose foot is that?
- What does the shadow tell us about this woman?
- What does the shadow tell us about the time of day?1
- The time of year?
- How can we be sure this photograph was taken on Earth?2
- Could this photograph be considered an abstract work of art?
- What type of frame would be best for displaying this photo?
- Wait. Why are you framing this photo?
- OK. Getting back on point: What size is this shoe?
- What does the design of the shoe tell us about the cultural mores of that time?
- Do you think German Expressionism influenced the photographer's angle for this photo?
- What does it all mean?
- Is this Papergreat's worst post ever?
1. Be sure to show your work for full credit.
2. Sponsored footnote: Maybe it was taken on Mars. By Matt Damon. See The Martian, now playing in theaters everywhere.1
1. OK. That footnote wasn't really sponsored. But it could have been, for the right price.1
1. $1.75 is my final offer.