The idea of a Trillion Dollar Coin is getting a lot of, ahem, currency these days as our United States politicians and pundits debate all things fiscal and cliff-like. There was even a tongue-in-cheek (I think) opinion piece in The Washington Post last month advocating the sale of Alaska to help pay off the national debt.
Clearly, though, what we need more than a Trillion Dollar Coin is a legendary Magic Money Tree, complete with a Helper Monkey™ to toss the coins down from the branches.
Speaking of the Trillion Dollar Coin, here are some Twitter one-liners on that topic from Ryan Teague Beckwith, the politics editor at Digital First Media's Project Thunderdome:
- That $1 trillion platinum coin is going to be the MacGuffin in "National Treasure Part VI" in 2024.
- National Treasure 3: With the debt ceiling looming, Nic Cage must find a $1 trillion coin owned by John Quincy Adams.1
- IDEA: Obama coins $1 trillion coin, puts "DEFAULT" on one side and "PAY DEBTS" on the other. Boehner flips.
- If Ron Paul were still in Congress, we'd be arguing whether the $1 trillion coin should be gold instead of platinum.
- Barack Obama? RT @TheStalwart: HUGE! A Nobel Prize winner joins the #MintTheCoin movement http://read.bi/TGwbCf
- I love that the trillion-dollar coin idea first came from someone named "Beowulf." http://bit.ly/13fVrCc
- House Republican proposes bill to prevent Obama from using trillion-dollar coin. Reminder: Obama would have to sign that bill into law.
1. It will be a lot easier for Nicolas Cage to acquire the lost coin if he's actually a ... vampire.