It's been almost a year since the last vintage record cover that appeared on Papergreat, so we're definitely overdue for today's blast from the past.
This is the 7-inch-wide paper sleeve for a mid-century Golden Record featuring the 19th century ditty "Polly Wolly Doodle" and "The Happy Wanderer." The songs are performed by "the GOLDEN Children's Chorus, The Sandpiper Singers, Mitch Miller, Jimmy Carroll and Orchestra." This is the 45 rpm version of the vinyl record. I see that there are numerous mentions online for a 78 rpm version that was also produced and sold.
Here are the credits from the back of the sleeve:
- Distributed by Affiliated Publishers, Rockefeller Center, New York
- Produced by A.A. Records Inc.
- Printed in U.S.A.
- Record manufactured by Bestway Products Inc.
- Illustrations copyright 1959 by A.A. Records Inc.
Indeed, I believe that this was published in either 1959 or 1960. Besides the copyright date for the cover illustration, there is a long list of other Golden Records that were available, and one of them features Huckleberry Hound, a Hanna-Barbera character that didn't debut until 1958.
Here is a sampling of some of the other Golden Records that are listed on the back of the sleeve:
- EP 568 Shari Lewis: HI KIDS
- EP 566 SUPERMAN, RAMAR, YANCY DERRINGER, LAWMAN, HAWKEYE
- EP 562 ROCKET TO THE MOON!
- EP 522 LONE RANGER
- EP 561 HAPPY YULETIDE, The Three Stooges
- 574 LITTLE FAT POLICEMAN
- 552 CRACKERS IN MY SOUP
- 548 Disney's SHAGGY DOG
- 497 SMOKEY THE BEAR
- 493 WOODY WOODPECKER
- 471 MARCH OF TOYS (Captain Kangaroo)
More about Golden Records
- Wikipedia entry
- 2006 New York Times obituary of Golden Records founder Arthur Shimkin
- "Collecting Vintage Children's Records" on the Kiddie Rekord King
- Golden Records price guide
What are your Golden Records memories? Do you still have any of them and, if so, do you have a record player on which to play them?